Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Creamy Stovetop Mac-n-Cheese


OK, so call me weird but I will only eat grilled cheese sandwiches that are made with Kraft singles. Don't ask why, I'm not really sure myself but that's just how it is in the wonderful world of Jami. This small quirk usually leaves me with a lot of Kraft singles floating around in my fridge. Which is why this recipe caught my eye on Tasty Kitchen. It was pretty good. My dear Hubby even liked it. I did have to add quite a bit more seasonings than it called for. Or maybe I am completely clueless to how much a "dash" actually is.

1 c. Dry macaroni (I used a little over 2 cups)
1 tsp. vegetable oil
2 Tbsp. butter
2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
1 1/4 c. whole milk
8 - 10 slices American Processed Cheese Singles, unwrapped
2 dashes each of Seasoned salt, regular salt, cayenne pepper

Bring a large pot of water to boil. Add vegetable oil to water and pour in dry pasta. Cook until al dente and drain. Melt the butter in a small sauce pan over low heat. After it is melted, whisk in the flour and continue whisking for about 1 -2 minutes to dissolve and cook the rawness out of the flour. Pour in the milk and whisk slowly until it thickens. Add the cheese slices a few at a time and whisk until they melt into the sauce. Pour over pasta, stir and season to taste.

No comments: