Friday, January 15, 2010

Chicken and Dumplings


It wasn't until I had my first Thanksgiving in the South that I tasted this dish. My husband's great Aunt made it. She is the world's sweetest lady and an amazing cook. All of her recipes are from memory. She only shares them with a very few select people. I feel very blessed that she did include me in this elect group while I was in her home. However, I am not big on the idea of measuring Crisco by "fingerfuls". I'm not that advanced in my cooking experience. I'm afraid Aunt Myra would be ashamed of me for this imitation dish, so shh, don't tell her. I also broke a cardinal rule of food photography for this one and used my flash. But I figure since it isn't a real photogenic dish that it really didn't matter all that much. Besides that, the picture I took without the flash was SUPER crappy.

3 large chicken breasts, cooked, shredded
10 c. chicken broth
2 1/2 c. Bisquick
2/3 to 3 c. milk
flour, for thickening
salt & pepper to taste

In a large pot, boil chicken until thoroughly cooked. (I usually add 1 or 2 bouillon cubes while the chicken is boiling) Remove from pot and shred, reserving the broth. Return shredded chicken to pot and bring to a boil. Meanwhile mix Bisquick and milk to make a sticky dough. Roll out dough, as thin as possible and cut into 1/2 to 1 inch strips. Drop dough strips into boiling chicken broth. Continue this process until all dough is gone. Allow dumplings to cook. Thicken the broth to a thick gravy texture using a mixture of flour and milk. Mixture will thicken as it cooks.

2 comments:

Sadie said...

Can you come photograph all of my dishes. I always end up snapping a picture right after it's out of the oven, when it's dark outside, of course, and my flash is always on... such a bad photographer... But my goal this year is to take better food pictures. So far I'm failing miserably. Your pictures are always beautiful. Thanks for inspiring me

MARIE said...

Let me just tell you that I am UPSET that this is the first time I have even HEARD about your recipe blog. How could I POSSIBLY have missed it. BLast it all! (that is not a swearword in the USA). I'm officially excited to dig in.
I don't update my recipes anymore because all my pretty dishes are packed away and i just CAN NOT STAND to take a picture of beautiful food in an ugly dish. CAN'T DO IT! Next time we meet you MUST tell me how you learned how to PHOTO so well AND graciously bestow your gift upon me. ( as well as giving me your camera). Thanks babe. ( :