Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Taco Salad Dippers


My husband, he loves tacos. I am not a big fan. I would say it is more of the taco package mix that I don't see eye to eye with. To much --- well it has to much of something in there. This was a great middle ground for us. He gets his taco fix and I don't get grossed out by the "to much" of something in my food. My 2 year old, who normally won't touch rice or beans with a 10" pole, licked her bowl clean. A great weeknight meal, again from My Kitchen Cafe. This makes A LOT. I had enough left over to freeze for another 2 meals.

2 lbs. lean ground beef or turkey
1 medium onion, chopped
6 c. water
1 c. rice
1 tsp. oregano
1 Tbsp. sugar
2 tsp. chili powder
2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. ground cumin
2 cloves garlic, finely minced
2 (8 oz.) cans tomato sauce
2 (6 oz.) cans tomato paste
1 (15 oz.) Can pinto beans, rinsed and drained

In a large pot, brown the ground beef or turkey with the onion and garlic and cook until the meat is no longer pink and the onions are translucent. Drain any accumulated grease. Add the water, rice, seasonings, tomato sauce, tomato paste and beans. Bring the mixture to a boil and then reduce the heat and simmer uncovered for 40 minutes, stirring occasionally, watching to make sure it doesn't stick to the bottom of the pot. The mixture will seem very watery at first, but after simmering, it will thicken to perfection as the rice absorbs water and all the ingredients meld together. Serve warm with tortilla chips for dipping and other taco garnishes.

No comments: