Monday, March 29, 2010

Chocolate Ganache Cake


I think this one is a Betty Crocker ditty. After I discovered it I made it approximately 1,000 times. It is super fabulous. Then I forgot about it's fabulousness. I remembered it the other day after volunteering to bake individual birthday cakes for the girls in our young women's group. Apparently I also forgot that I have small children and that means everything must be done in small time increments. But since this cake needs to be refrigerated, the couple of hour long breaks we had to take in between steps worked out quite well. It calls for tub chocolate frosting, but I used this frosting recipe instead.

1 box chocolate fudge cake mix
1 1/3 c. water
1/2 c. vegetable oil
3 eggs
2 tubs Rich & Creamy chocolate frosting
1/3 c. heavy whipping cream
1/2 c. semi-sweet chocolate chips
Heath bar (or toffee)bits

Combine cake mix, water, oil and eggs and mix until batter is smooth. Bake as directed on the box for 2- 9" rounds. (I used 2- 6" rounds and increased the baking time) Cool completely. Place 1st layer on cake platter and frost top of cake generously. Repeat with second layer and frost sides. Place in fridge. In a small sauce pan, heat heavy whipping cream over medium heat until hot, but do not boil, then remove from heat. Stir in chocolate chips until melted smooth. Let mixture stand for 5 minutes. Carefully pour chocolate ganache mixture onto the top center of the cake. Spread to the edges and allow some to drizzle down the side. Garnish top of cake with toffee candy bits. Refrigerate for 1 hour or until ganache is set. Store covered in fridge.

No comments: