Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Raisin Filled Cookies


This is a sentimental treat for me. My mom use to make these cookies for my dad when he went deer hunting. Dad is not a big hunter, so it was rare that we got these little lovelies. Being that it is now November, I haven't had these in over a year and I can't just run over to my mommy's house and beg her to make them for me anymore, today I braved the task and made them. I was terrified that they wouldn't be as good if mom didn't make them but surprisingly enough after the first bite a flood of childhood memories came rushing back. Despite my elder sister's opinion these are awesome! The sugar cookie recipe is from Picky Palate but the filling is mom's original.
Sugar Cookie Recipe:
Filling Recipe:
3 c. Raisins
1/4 - 1/2 c. water
1 1/4 c. sugar
Puree raisins into a paste in blender or food processor adding water as needed to process. Pour puree into medium saucepan and add sugar and remaining water (if any). Simmer on LOW heat, stirring occasionally, allowing the filling to cook down and become candied for about 25 to 30 minutes. Allow filling to cool completely before filling cookies.
Using round cookie cutter or cup cut 3" circles out of the rolled out dough. Drop 1 tsp. of filling into center of circle and fold in half pinching the edges of the dough together to seal. Place on parchment lined cookie sheet and bake at 350 degrees for 9 to 11 minutes depending on thickness of dough. Remove from pan and allow to cool on rack. These can be frozen after they are baked and are really good to eat straight out of the freezer!




No comments: