Monday, November 1, 2010

Cream Cheese Chicken and Vegetable Soup


I love creamy soups! They are one of my fond childhood memories of autumn time. Mom's potato soup, tomato soup and vegetable chowder. Oddly enough I don't have a recipe for any of them. A problem I will soon remedy. In the mean time, this was a great substitute. The cream cheese makes it SO smooth and creamy. You'll love it.

*From My Kitchen Cafe

2 Tbsp. butter
1 yellow onion, finely diced
2 cloves garlic, finely minced
2 stalks celery, diced
1/2 diced carrots
3 c. chicken broth
2-3 potatoes, peeled and finely diced (I used red potatoes and left the skin on)
1 c. milk
4 Tbsp. flour
1 - 8oz. pkg cream cheese
2 -3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cooked and diced

In a large pot, melt the butter and add the onions, garlic, celery and carrots. Saute, stirring often, for 3-4 minutes, until the veggies are slightly tender and the onions are translucent. Add the chicken broth and potatoes. Bring the soup to a simmer and cook partially covered, until the soup begins to thicken slightly. Stir often to ensure the soup doesn't burn. Soften the cream cheese in the microwave until it is very soft / melty. Place the unwrapped cream cheese on a plate and microwave for 1 minute at 30% power. (I did it for 2 minutes, checking after the 1 minute.) You'll want it really, really soft so that it doesn't leave lumps in the soup. Add the cream cheese to the soup in small tablespoon-size pieces. Let the pieces sit in the soup and warm through then whisk or stir the soup until the cream cheese melts and mixes in well. Add the cooked chicken and heat through. Season with salt and pepper.

1 comment:

Miranda Townsend said...

Today I miss miss miss you. We would cook the best meals if we still lived by each other. I must try this soup solely for the fact that it contains my favorite ingredient of all time...cream cheese. You've got to stop posting so I don't miss you so!!!